Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:39 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:33 pm
Posts: 11
I know that this is probaly the wrong place to post this, but Im sure someone in the discussion board knows something about this. My questions is about Child Support and Custody rights. I have heard SO many different sides to each. First of all let me explain my situation... my boyfriend pretty much forgot who I was when I told him I was pregnant; therefore he hasnt been there AT ALL throughout my pregnancy. Im worried about the whole process about child custody. Lets first say that he has been in trouble with the law many times with drugs, but this was all in the past, but it is still on his record and he's still doing drugs. Anyway, what are the chances that he'll get custody rights? Im not signing his name on the birth certificate, because he hasnt been there for me at all. If we do go to court, would it be possible that he can only get supervised visitation rights? Is it true that if he pays child support he gets custody rights?

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:13 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:49 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Toronto

The best thing to do would be to seek advice from a lawyer dealing in Family Law. I'm not sure where you live but you may be able to get free legal counseling/or advice depending on your situation.
Here in Toronto we have LegalAid.

Good luck.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:21 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:23 am
Posts: 19
Location: England
Hi, sorry to hear about the situation you are in.

This is not 100% but from what i know, if you can prove there is a vaild reason for you to contest his application for custardy, (ie I think drug use is a very good reason!) then yes he would still have to pay child support, but would not be able to have access to your child. He would have to still give you some financial assistance in the form of child support, but because of his past issues, may very well be judged to be an unsuitable person to have any access rights.

i would also advise you to keep a diary of any contact he might make along with what was said each time. Things like that can come in very handy if you kept them up to date. Also i realsie this may sound a little devious, but if you have any evidence that he is unfit, keep it and make sure you present it to the necessray people to influence their decision.

hope this helps a little - good luck! :)


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group