CARING FOR THE SPECIAL CHILD
A guide for parents on finding the right school or camp for their child with special needs.
Help! Please click here to report problems like broken, outdated or inappropriate links.
- Baby Place Articles and Advice: Special Needs
- Extremely informative articles written by mothers and other experts on raising children with special needs.
- Bright Tots
- Resources to understanding developmental disorders such as autism, PDD and Aspergers.
- Programs for Children, Youth and Adults with Developmental Disabilities
- Camphill is dedicated to social renewal through community building with children, youth, and adults who have developmental disabilities.
- Disabilities Services and Self-Help Center
- Designing programs that meet the unique information, technical assistance, training, and research needs of professionals, and programs which serve to improve the lives of infants, toddlers, children, youth, and adults with disabilities, and their families.
- OSEP: Office of Special Education Programs
- OSEP's mission and organization focus on the free appropriate public education of children and youth with disabilities from birth through age 21.
CAMPS AND SPORTS
- Kids' Camps.com
- Links to over 100 camps for children with various disabilities.
- MEDEK Physical Therapy for Infants and Children
- A new, innovative approach to therapy for children with movement disorders.
- Medical Bracelets from Sticky Jewelry
- Selection of medical alert bracelets and pendants for children with diabetes, allergies, epilepsy, asthma, autism, and other diagnoses.
- Bright Tots
- Resources to understanding developmental disorders such as autism, pdd and aspergers.
- A "brain-training" program that can help overcome learning difficulties, leading to increased performance in reading, spelling and math.
- Wheels! -- A 3D Action Game for Disabled Kids
- Wheels is a 3D action game, like the ones that able-bodied kids play, but with many changes necessary for kids with special needs.
- RJ Cooper & Associates Software and Hardware for Persons with Special Needs
- Assistive technology enabling people with disabilities to do more with computers.
- The Hearing Foundation of Canada
- Newborn hearing screening video and information kit for parents to be and professionals across the country. It is available free, not including postage.
- Captioned Media Program
- If you know of a child who is deaf or hard of hearing, the Captioned Media Program (CMP) can help with video resources. The program provides free-loan, open-captioned videos to deaf and hard of hearing. More than 4,000 titles including educational videos, and special-interest videos are available.
- Disability Awareness for Children Pre-K through Sixth Grade
- A descriptive listing of books, games, and activities that educate children with and without disabilities on disability awareness, people first language, sign language, and braille
- Birth Defect Research for Children
- Because every birth defect has a cause.
- Homeschooling Kids With Disabilities
- Special needs homeschooling resources, information and support, including email list, message board and bookstore. Updated frequently.
- Camphill Soltane
- Camphill Soltane is a life-sharing educational community for and with young adults with developmental disabilities ages 18 to 25.