Posted by unhealthy snacks/vending machines on October 04, 2003 at 11:57:07:
The nonprofit group Center for Science in the Public Interest has released a
list of unhealthy snacks that are commonly served in vending machines in
schools, which are often 'filled with soda, candy bars, cookies, chips and other
low-nutrition foods,' plus a list of more healthy choices.
Another big problem is that many kids use these vending machines and 'snacks' as
an alternative for lunch.
Among the 'Worst Vending Options' are:
* Chips Ahoy!, Oreo and other fatty cookies
* Chocolate whole or 2% milk
* Coca-Cola, Pepsi and other soda
* Fruitopia, FruitWorks, and other "fruit" drinks
* Hostess HOHOs and other snack cakes
* Keebler Club & Cheddar Sandwich Crackers
* Kit Kat Big Kat, Snickers and other candy bars
* Starburst Fruit Chews and other sugary candies
Are there better options for snacks at school?
Sure. The CSPI offers these 'Better Vending Options':
* Applesauce cups (unsweetened)
* Bottled water
* Chex Mix, Traditional
* Dole or Del Monte fruit cups
* Low-fat or fat-free milk
* Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Oats 'N Honey
* Orange juice (100%)
* Raisins and unsweetened dried fruit
And these healthy snack choices aren't just for school vending machines.
They can help guide your choices of snacks that you offer your kids at home.