Posted by Nicole K on October 27, 2003 at 23:20:52:
We also have a gas fireplace and decided the safest thing to do is to turn off the pilot light for now because it can get quite hot even with the pilot on. My son is almost 14 mos. and insists on playing with the vents but at least it is not hot. I still will tell him "No" and sometimes have to move him away but he will usually find his way back over there.
If you don't want to use a screen, I would just forego using the fireplace and turn the pilot off for now while your son is still young and curious to touch things he shouldn't.